le 14 juillet

July 15, 2011
IMG_4708
IMG_4691
IMG_4680
IMG_4684
matthieu et celine
IMG_4701
terrasson sans tripod
fireworks
french friends
For the past three 4th of July's, I've been abroad in Europe (Greece then Italy and now France). I've always been a little sad about it because I miss the fireworks and the celebrations, but this year was the best substitute I could hope for.

Little did I realize that France's day of independence is ten days after our own! For the FĂȘte Nationale Française (which commemorates the storming of the Bastille), my new French friends (staff at the hotel restaurant) invited me along to Terrasson to see the fireworks. We were running a little late so Matthieu sped through the tiny, twisty countryside roads, I felt like I was on a roller coaster (this is no joke). Just as we were approaching Terrasson, we saw the fireworks go off and we thought we were going to miss them, but we made it in time to catch the end of the show.

Speeding in a tiny European car with fireworks straight ahead was one of the best feelings. When we finally made it to the rest of the crowd, there was a carnival, a bar, and a dance floor where everyone was just celebrating. It made me miss my "own" country but still feel happy about being here.

6 comments:

  1. what an amazing story!! i love the pictures, too. celeste, you're so cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers for Bastille Day in France! it was an amazing time in Lille too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos! i love the fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome fireworks! I was going to see some, back on the Fourth of July...but I missed them. I'd love to go to France someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yay! that sounds like a really fun experience. and glad you were safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like the perfect celebration :) i missed being home for the 4th too, but bastille day in paris made up for it a little bit.

    ReplyDelete