along the seine

September 12, 2011
boats
Among the many things I remember my dear friend Chelsey saying, I've always remembered how she pointed out the existence of rivers in major cities. Florence has the Arno, Rome has the Tiber, London has the Thames, Paris has the Seine.
on deck
paris
notre dame
As a Bay Area girl, I've always looked at rivers a little strangely. It's hard for me to think of living somewhere where the vast ocean isn't just a quick drive away. Rivers aren't endless. I rarely get to put my feet in them. The sun doesn't usually set right behind them... and they usually look pretty dirty.
Île de la Cité
heads of old prisoners
So what is it about the Seine? Why was it comforting to have this river flow through Paris? And how could I spend so much time just sitting on an island in the middle of the river-- with nothing to do but sit and think? I have no idea. But the fact that a little river could spark this much thought must mean that I've underestimated rivers.
eiffel

7 comments:

  1. Very beautiful! Traveling is the best. Love your photographs here~

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's such a magical river. and did you go on one of those boat tours? i went at night time and it was so beautiul with everything along it all lit up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like rivers. They scare me quite honestly, rivers and lakes. Being from an island, and like you, having the coast right by, I am used to the beach. But whenever I am abroad, rivers just seem romantic, so I can't pass up the chance to get on a boat or walk by them.

    Keep up the great vacation posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice photo Celeste!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "they usually look pretty dirty" LOL. i loved your little paragraph on what you think of rivers XD

    ReplyDelete