camera heaven

June 1, 2011
camera heaven
Sort of along the themes of "school ending" and "graduation," I wanted to post a photo from the digital photography class I took this quarter.

Before this April I had never taken a photography class ever. After saving up my work money from freshmen through senior years of high school, I finally bought an SLR and fell in love. Since then it's traveled the world with me, it's been snuck into concerts, and it's my constant companion in the kitchen. (My brother-in-law also likes to refer to it as my "G14 Classified").

Up until this course most of my photos were taken with my vague knowledge of how a camera really functions. From my own experience, I knew that I hated flash, I adjusted shutter speed when needed, and I rarely ever changed things in Photoshop. While I still prefer not to post-process, this course (and an amazing day assisting Rachel Thurston) has taught me to really embrace manual settings to make my photos truly my own.

This photo is one from our "Night & Color" Assignment where one of the requirements was to paint with light. I just loved how this one turned out-- it's like each wisp of light is a little halo over each camera. My own personal camera heaven.*

*Cameras from my small antique camera collection.
** Click here to see my class portfolio.

9 comments:

  1. oh my gosh celeste, that photo is beautiful, really beautiful :) I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photo! i have had my SLR since december and I am taking a class at our local art institute starting next week. this makes me really excited!

    http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! when my parents got me my dslr they said I should take a photography class, but I never got around to it in undergrad.. I wonder if there's anything local I could look in to? hmmm...

    I like how one of your assignments was "bad photos" haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that's such a pretty photo! it does look like wisps of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what you had never taken a photography class before? wow you have natural talent lady!!

    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that photo! and i wish i had the 2nd camera to the left!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so cool that you are taking a class, very awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow amazing photo! I want to take a camera class now, I did one at uni but wasn't that interested then... but I agree it's great to know more about manual settings. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the photo. I've been too nervous to take a digital photography class at my school but browsing your portfolio has made me begin to reconsider :)

    ReplyDelete