ephesus revisited

October 1, 2010
the library of celsus
the main city road
ancient details
left standing
the theater where paul from the bible spoke.. and where enrique iglesias sang

Ephesus. To be honest, before I visited last summer I wasn't sure if it was a place that still existed. The most I knew was what I'd read about it in the Bible, with Paul's letters to the Ephesians. Although I had been to other sites, Ephesus (tied with Delphi) was my favorite because it was actually like walking through the ancient city. You could see the main street along the market place, board games that sellers would play to pass time, the library-- even the bathrooms. And even though everything left is just a fraction of what used to be there, it just felt so real.

Also, funny stories about the last photo: This is the great theater where Paul of the Apostle spoke to the Ephesians. About 1900 years later, Enrique Iglesias performed here for the excavation site's first fundraising concert. And, our tour guide took a girl on their first date to that Enrique concert nine years ago. Today, she's his wife.

10 comments:

  1. wow. That place is amazing!! What a cool experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute story on that last photo! happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that's super cool about your tour guide. and ancient board games- who woulda thunk it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awh, I love Ephesus. I agree that is was very surreal to walk on streets that have existed for so many centuries, especially being from the States - a newborn country in comparison. For me, it made the Bible so much more real because you can actually stand where the stories took place. Great post! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been here and I was truely blown away! Its an amazing place and what missocial says it is very surreal! Love the little story at the end :) Shows romance is still alive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so beautiful!!! i definitely want to go there someday soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's crazy to think of something existing for so long. To think of all the people who have been there.. it's mind boggling!

    I'm jealous of all your travels. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I love that Enrique concert story. So cute.

    My fiancé went to Ephesus last year and his photos were incredible - much like yours actually. Unfortunately I didn't get to go, but I did visit Istanbul and absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! I've always wanted to visit the ancient Biblical towns. These pictures are great. I bet it was amazing to walk these streets.

    I like your story at the end. That's cute. :)

    :o)Sarah
    http://restlessromantic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete