bayonne

July 25, 2011
people watching
IMG_4195
IMG_4039
IMG_4068
everywhere
choquette
IMG_4094
IMG_4192
IMG_4044
bayonne
Even though I'm leaving Coly today (!!!), I still have a lot of photos from the past few weeks to share.

Going to Bayonne was the first time I'd been by myself after at least 10 days of being in France. It was my first afternoon off while we were in Capbreton, so I took the afternoon bus south for the day.

What do you do when you travel alone? I wander and get lost. From the bus station, I didn't have a map or know where to go, but I just followed my instincts across a huge bridge and before I knew it, I was in the city center with wooden shutters and hanging garlands galore.

My favorite views of Bayonne were found just by looking up. At the charming windows, the hanging flower boxes, the people-watchers, the cathedral, the garlands, the lamp posts along the river... I'm surprised I never walked into anyone after spending so much time admiring everything above my head.

I didn't know where to eat, where local favorites were, or anything like that. But I loved Bayonne because I got to discover it in my own way.

10 comments:

  1. are you kidding me! this is gorgeous. i'm so glad you had this day.

    to be honest, i've been a little anxious about my trip lately. this made me feel so much better! this is how i love to travel too. so exciting. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so pretty there! I would love to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful town...that's why we fly to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is especially true in Europe that "All who wander are not lost." ~ Tolkien

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting to be able to discover a place like that on your own. I'm such a planner, so this would scare me just a bit. But oh how I would love to do this for myself one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness gracious I am so glad you commented on my blog so I could find yours! I am totally going to follow. Can't wait to see your adventure! :)

    In case you forgot who I am:
    www.abinewhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. those colorful buildings are gorgeous. i love that not everything is just gray slabs of concrete over here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely. Such a wonderful traveler.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pictures. How beautiful.

    ReplyDelete