wanderlust continued

June 7, 2011
my suitcase heart
I have a (temporary) future! This entire year people have asked me what I've got planned post-graduation and for the most part, I had no idea. Then they'd ask me, "ideally," what I wanted to do: I wanted to live and work in Europe. After missing the Fulbright deadline, I tried to see if there were other ways to go: graduate programs, teaching English, etc. It's unlikely that I'd ever win a trip to Paris, or magically inherit tons of money just to travel as much as I wanted. It wasn't until a few months ago when David's aunt asked me if I'd ever considered becoming an au pair.

After finding a (really sweet) family, I spent the past month or so getting all of my paperwork settled. I wanted to tell everyone so badly, but I have this weird superstition where I don't like to jynx things before they're completely settled.

Well... everything is settled! I have my visa, I have my flight, I have my family! At the end of this month I'm heading to a tiny little town about two hours east of Bordeaux in beautiful Dordogne. I'm nervous, excited, and all kinds of emotions all squeezed into one. I don't speak a word of French but traveling and experiencing new cultures has always been where my heart lies.

I can't wait for this new adventure! My wanderlust is bubbling with anticipation.

24 comments:

  1. this is so exciting! i wish i could move back to france. i actually lived in bordeaux for a semester so if you want any tips on that area let me know.

    http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so awesome! congratulations, i'm so happy for you! do you read anna's blog "little reminders of love?" she just left to be an au pair in germany. unfortunately, her first family did not work out at all {it was sort of a nightmare}, but she found a new family and things are going great. she is the sweetest gal ever and might be a great support/advice giver/listener as you get ready and start your adventure.

    her regular blog is: http://littleremindersoflove.blogspot.com/
    and her au pair blog is: http://annaimausland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an awesome opportunity. and good for you just jumping into it, not knowing any french. you're brave :) i hope you have so much fun over there! (over here actually, cause im writing this from antibes, in the south of france as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morgan- I will definitely take you up on that!

    Kim- I've read a little from Anna but now I need to go back and catch up-- thanks for the reference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats! that is so exciting!!! i'm finishing up my au pair year in germany in 3 weeks and it has been a fantastic year :) you'll have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. can you say love? exactly what this post is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did you organize everything??? I am thinking of being an aupair as well to see Europe a little bit! please give me some tips!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, that is great. Have loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so brave, and that really inspires me. I could never see myself doing something like this even though it's amazing and probably going to be the time of your life. I'm such a wuss!

    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How incredible! This is surely going to be the experience of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is so completely awesome!! congrats! let the adventures begin!

    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  12. um, we will be meeting up.

    please bring me that polaroid when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH MY GOODNESS! This is incredible, I am so excited for you (and also quite jealous!). I love your Gelateria di Neri postcard in the photograph. Promise to document your entire experience so I can live vicariously!
    - Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that is such an amazing opportunity. I hope you love it and have the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats!!! So excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Celeste so glad for you that something came through. Have fun adventuring. Love, David's aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow!! that is SO COOL!! that is seriously exciting, good for you for making it happen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. how exciting! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG wow, thats fantastic news, how exciting for you :)

    I'm exactly the same about jinxing things too.

    Come visit northern England :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's amazing! I envy your free spirit. Keep traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  21. so excited for you and your upcoming adventures! From what I have seen of it, Dordogne is absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to follow your new adventures!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow that is great!! I can't wait to read and look at your life there. Also, not too far from Spain, we should have a blogger adventure. THINK ABOUT IT!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a great opportunity. I love your free spirit. This will be an adventure you'll treasure forever. Good luck! Excited for the photos.

    * Julia

    ReplyDelete