mycenae

January 14, 2011
sun spots in ancient greece
I'm rereading The Iliad (for the bazillionth time) in one of my classes this quarter and every mention of Mycenae makes me think of the time I actually got to visit the site when I was in Greece two summers ago. It's weird to think that this place was a palace- Agamemnon's home while he ruled over the Achaeans and the home he left for 10 years during the battle of Troy* (so the stories say, anyway). I know the photos might not look like much, but being here after learning their ancient history was nothing short of amazing.
lion gate
another sweet, friendly stray
grave circle a
mycenae
treasury of atreus
argos
This last photo is of the stray dog we found in the Temple of Atreus. We affectionately named her Argos (after Odysseus' faithful dog in The Odyssey).

*No matter how many times I read The Iliad, I always picture Achilles as Brad Pitt.

15 comments:

  1. hehe i couldn't think of anything nicer than picturing Brad Pitt every time you read the Iliad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey he looks like my dog!!

    I admire your adventures! One day I will have tales to share too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaaha! confession, when i was reading the historical fiction novel "helen of troy" (such a good book btw), i couldn't stop seeing brad pitt as achilles.

    oh man, i cannot believe you got to go to mycenae. i'm a huge greek history dork and i am just beyond jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mycenae was one of my favorite places in Greece - After seeing these photos I'm inspired to do Greece posts! I didn't have a blog then but there is so much beauty to be shared! Loved waking up to this today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have no idea how jealous I am right now. The Iliad is my favorite epic, and the class I took which taught it is one of my favs from my time at Cal. Ahhh, the Lion's Gate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah so gorgeous! I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am of where all you have been. You covered almost my whole list of places I want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i want to go to greece so bad... it's a dream of mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos! I would love to one day go to Greece..

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for your comment. i love your blog and the photos are sooo beautiful!
    and i don´t really know... but i guess it´s perry from phinneas and ferb. haha... i love perry. it´s so funny. and i wanna have this t-shirt. :D
    have a beautiful weekend!!!
    xoxo, pink lady <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the illiad and the odyssey so much... so wonderful. i'm jealous you got to go to greece. i can't believe it! but you seem so well traveled... <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everytime I think of the Illiad, I think of Brad Pitt too! Hahaha.
    Even though I'm half Greek, I have never been there!
    Thank you for your comment. Photos are taken from photographer Erwin Olaf's website. :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! My sister went to Greece a while ago and absolutely loved the history that was there, so I can imagine this was pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete